Ensuring a thriving ocean economy for everyone
GEDB excecutive director Beatrice Crona was one of the speakers at this webinar on the rapidly developing scientific and policy attention associated to the ocean.
The webinar looked at the science behind the ocean economy and the rapidly developing scientific and policy attention associated to the ocean. It addressed the challenges with balancing conservation and use of ocean resources in a way that ensures human well-being and fairness – topics of central relevance for the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development.
- The growing political momentum associated to the ocean economy
- How to achieve multiple objectives for the benefit of planet and people
- The future of food from the ocean
- Designing and managing appropriate incentives
- Decision making and complexity
- Beatrice Crona (Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences) – Ocean food for the future
- Maria Damanaki (Former EU Commissioner, Principal advisor to SYSTEMIQ, London and Paradise Foundation, China) – Introduction and moderator
- Vidar Helgesen (Nobel Foundation) – Outcomes of the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy
- Enric Sala (National Geographic) – Managing tradeoffs between ocean conservation and use
- Rashid Sumaila (University of British Columbia) – Ocean finance and equity
- Elke Weber (Princeton University) – Shifting human behaviour towards sustainability
- Henrik Österblom (Stockholm Resilience Centre) – Reflection on presentations